Monday, June 30, 2008

Losing My Seitan Making Virginity

I was so excited to find wheat gluten at me grocery store and decided I must try making my own fake meatery.  Since it was my first time I wanted to make it special so I scavenged a few sites to create this (giving most credit to a recipe at Recipezaar):

Seitan

Dry
2 c. Vital wheat gluten
1 tsp. herbs de province
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. lemon grass powder
1 tsp. ginger powder

Wet
1 1/2 c. Water
2 tbsp. Tamari
1 tbsp. Sesame oil

Broth
4 c. Water
1/4 c. Soy sauce
1 Large green onion (roughly chopped)
1 Celery stalk (roughly chopped)
2 Chunks of dried galanger
 
Mix dry.  Mix wet. Pour wet into dry all at once and mix rapidly with a fork.  Knead 10 to 15 times.  Let rest a couple of minutes.  Knead a little more.  Let rest 15 minutes.  Will be rubbery by this point.  Take mound and try to form into a log of sorts and then slice into 5 to 8 pieces.  Shape into cutlets.  Add to boiling broth and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.  You can eat it right away.  Store it in the fridge for about a week or freeze it til it is freezer burnt and gross.  I recommend eating it but you know, personal preference. 
Here I just sliced a cutlet and placed it on a salad.  It was cold but if I had a grill I would have grilled it. Yet, still delicious without the grilling.  I topped it with a quick and easy salad dressing:

Balsamicy Goodness

2 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil
A pinch of herb de province

Mix it, shake it or toss it.  It is yummy.  You can also make a large batch and keep it in a jar in the fridge for future use.


No comments: