Friday, July 11, 2008

Simple Stir Fry with a Kicker

Here is a nice and simple stir fry with a bit of a punch.  I wanted to post one last time before my friend kristin from Canada gets here.  Between work and fun there will not be much time for blogging, but i will be sure to update on our food adventures.  Will be in Japan for a few days so hopefully i remember to photograph the food...mmmm....Be back at the beginning of august, unless i can squeeze a post in sooner.  I have walnut recipes gallore, but i will detail that later.


My Simple Stir Fry with a Kicker
2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
3 c. Veggies of choice*
2 c. Cooked brown rice
Soy sauce (to taste)
1 Minced clove of garlic
1 tsp. Basil
Cracked pepper
1 c. Cubed extra firm tofu

The Kicker
Korean pickled hot peppers + juice 
(use desired amount, I ended up adding more to it once it was finished and being devoured.)

* I used onions. carrots, celery, hot pepper and zucchini.

Saute veggies (except zucchini) for 5 to 10 minutes.  Add tofu, zucchini, basil, cracked pepper, garlic and some soy sauce, saute another 2 to 5 minutes.  Then add the brown rice with a bit more soy sauce.  Cook another 5 minutes.  In the last minute of cooking add the pickled peppers and juice.  Finitoed.

I am sure other pickled peppers would work too.  The ones I used were whole (so i chopped them) and in a dark brown juice.  A friend gave them to me and i am so glad she did.  I started adding them to other dishes like mock chicken burgs and such.  They jazz up food nicely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,
Thanks so much for your comment on my blog! It is much appreciated. And I'm glad it brought me to yours--looks like you've got plenty of yummy recipes that I'd like to try, too. Looking forward to browsing through the archives. And added you to my Google Reader. :)

...barbara... said...

Thanks Ricki,
I look forward to keeping up with your site as well....
It rocks.....
Let me know whatever you try out...