Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Grill to the Cheese and Soup

Oh heavenly combo, how I heart thee.  I  haven't had this bad boy in sooo long.  So, when I purchased the The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook (you get a little sample of it here) and made the colby cheese from it, I knew what I would be making.  And I must say it was pretty superb, even though my uncheese making skills have not been perfected.  The cheese turned into more of a spread than the block it should have been and was very mustardy.  I didn't have onion powder or dry mustard so I tried regular mustard to compensate, being the brilliant genius I am, using wet to replace dry, hence the spread like quality.  But, all in all, it fulfilled my craving.  
Pictured with this fine sandwich is a variation of the Classily Classic Tomato Soup I made.  The only difference is I used 2 red peppers instead of the tomatoes.  Mmmm, I wish I had some more right now.
Now for the teensy bit of sad news.  My well used, aged, little camera has given up on life and is rolling around in his death bed in pain.  I am going to try the hospital and I have a beautiful new camera coming for my birthday, but I will not get to fondle her until I am back in Canada for a visit in 2 months.  So, in the mean time I hope to fix my little dude and/or borrow a friends camera for posting.  I have a couple items still waiting to be posted as well, so i will swing them out soon.  I do wish I had a camera on hand since I still have been making all sorts of goodness, chickpea cutlets, microwave pumpkin bread, mock tuna rolls, to name a few.  I wil be posting the mock tuna soon, but not in roll form.  That will have to wait until new camera time.  Yay, can't wait. 

To finish with a couple food related quotes I likey:

"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all." ~ Harriet Van Horne

"If you ate pasta and antipasti, would you still be hungry ?"

"My hearse will be followed not by mourning coaches but by herds of oxen, sheep, swine, flocks of poultry and a small traveling aquarium of live fish, all wearing white scarves in honor of the man who perished rather than eat his fellow creatures."  ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish playwright. 

"Vegetarians have wicked, shifty eyes, and laugh in a cold calculating manner. They pinch little children, steal stamps, drink water, favor beards."  ~ J. B. Morton 
(It just makes me laugh.)

"If life gives you a lemon, make lemonade. However — if life gives you a pickle, you might as well give up, because pickle-ade is disgusting."  ~  Clifton J. Gray

"I can't believe you can get banned from a bakery for mispronouncing 'focaccia' !"    — Hikeeba.

11 comments:

Mike K said...

That looks like a great sandwich - I need to pick up that cookbook, and you did the sandwich justice by pairing it with a red pepper soup. Thanks for the Shaw quote too! Brilliant.

VeganView said...

oooh that looks so tasty...mouth watering! I just stumbled upon your blog and love it :)

A.M. said...

The quote about the pickle-ade is just too funny!

...barbara... said...

my computer is ill and away from me for a short while so i may not be responding as quickly as i would like, but thank you for the comments, you all rock....
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi

Maoz is coming to Seoul!! Watch out for our first South-Korean store opening in Seoul.For more information about new stores see Maoz News!

http://www.maozveg.com/pages/show/4

Cheers :) crystal

VeganView said...

I just went to Whole Foods yesterday to buy tomato soup with pasta and vegan cheese! I am definitely making this today :)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

haha, awesome quotes! and I was just craving grilled cheese the other day... I might have to try this spread and soon, 'cause that looks perfect.

Anonymous said...

OMIGOD! GRILLED CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!

That looks so good...I'm salivating, woman!

Sorry about the camera. I feel for you, dear. I hope you gave it a fab funeral with lots of flowers.

Loved the quote by J. B. Morton

...barbara... said...

crystal~ thank you so much for the link. I will be in seoul in a month I am hoping it will be there by then. If not I will have to make a special trip back for it.

veganview~ saw your tom+pasta+cheese soup, now i want some of that...

liz~ let me know if the spready goodness did you justice, or if you find a dif recipe....i am always up for trying new cheesiness....

halfeaten~ I am still keeping the camera alive on his last string. He is a fighter and will have a glorious committal...I will make sure of it...

Megan said...

Oh dear. I really must break out that Uncheese book more often.

Virginie said...

I've got this book but never tried this recipe.
Do you mean you've got the recipe of the mock tuna ? I'm searching for it (as we haven't got already made mock tuna in France).
Good luck with your camera and Bon voyage in Canada !